Sunday, 30 November 2008

-HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIE!-

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIE!!!

The 30th November is my pretty older sister's birthday!! Happy Birthday Jie!!! Though we bicker, we quarrel, we steal each other's clothes, she has been an essential part of my life. There's no doubt about her beauty. Everyone says she's very pretty, so much so that everytime i'm with her, i feel that i can just fade in to the shadows and no one will notice. And I mean it. Yes, i've been jealous of her good looks, height and her figure. But our relationship is much more than that! She is always very generous and is always with me in my ups and downs in life, listening to me talk and share and gossip. Haha!

I miss those days we shared the same room. We used to talk about our day late into the night that our parents had to keep entering to ask us to keep quiet and go to sleep. I remember how upset and happy at the same time i felt when she got married. Happy that she found someone she loved and could spend her life with but upset that I started to miss her. I remember how i actually cried when i returned home on the night of the wedding, because her bed next to mine was empty. It was initially strange to see the bed empty and not to have someone to talk to me till i fall asleep.

But she comes back pretty often and calls home every single day so i don't miss her all that much now. I've gotten used to the empty bed next to mine and i've also gotten used to not listening to her voice until i fall asleep. One thing that never changes, is that she's still my sister, married or not! One who protects me and attempts to give me advice. Haha we're very different in many ways but i can predict what she's going to say, or what she is thinking most of the time.

Like just now, during our little celebration for her, we were talking about Chinese Proverbs (成语)because she was saying many Chinese would not like to give birth in the Year of the Cow because they felt that the child would 做牛做马 so many people would rather give birth in the year of the Rat. So i made a comment that there are a couple of negative proverbs that i could think of with regards to mouse too. (Nat is born in the year of a Rat too) And after thinking for a very, very long time, she said she could only think of 1 chinese phrase with 4 words comprising of mouse. Before she told me, we shouted out "米奇老鼠" (mickey mouse) at the same time! WAHAHAH! I know my sister too well already! Her Mandarin is like...so...entertaining! And limited! HAHAHA! Though we are very different in characters, we are still on the same frequency, which is throughly amazing!

I have to admit i almost forgot her birthday. I have been so caught up with the examinations that it almost slipped my mind. And drats, i haven't gotten her a present! I promise i will do so after the exams! RAHS. I have been too holed up in the library lately that i'm losing track of time and life outside the library.

Today's service was terrific. It was timely and rejuvenating. The message was simple yet strong. Thank you. Thank you for the reminder.

Once again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIE! I'll come disturb you after the 4th! ^^;

No comments: