Hmmm. Met up with quite a few people whom I haven't met in quite a while. General idea of comments that I got is that I have changed. I have no idea if it is for good or bad, but I agree, I have changed.
Especially more evident to people whom I haven't met in a long while I guess. Imagine, even Twinnie said so.
While I know I have changed, I don't deny the fact that people said that I've changed doesn't disturb me. I like the Old Me, I guess, but some things just got to change.
It's hard not to change given the present circumstance and past experiences. Having entered the working world was a step out of the initial protected and comfort zone. This new territory is still strangely foreign though more comfortable then when I first entered. It made me more wary of people around me, I would say. It showed me that people were very different. The ugly side of human nature was..exposed..and I didn't like what I saw.
Everyday, I come in to contact with new people and I was pretty perturbed by this particular someone whom I just got acquainted with. I knew him for barely 1 hour and there he was going on and on about how he wants to climb the corporate ladder at a seemingly unrealistic speed. And he was on the same topic for the whole night. Yes, applause for your drive and determination with a clear goal in mind. Okay, it might not be completely unrealistic but..fair enough, I'm in no position to comment. It was rather discomforting to see people plan each move and to talk to people whom they think will have decision over their promotion or "visibility". Each action is almost concerted -.- Scary, isn't it.
So in this world, I have learnt to protect myself. Okayy, i'm still learning to protect myself. I don't think there's this 100% impenetrable armor especially for areas beyond the skin and flesh. (Think psychological warfare) People protect themselves using different ways to prevent themselves from getting hurt or limiting the level of hurt and damage to the minimal. For example, to protect themselves from letting people know their low self esteem or inferior complex, some people tend to scold or run others down. Some pretend to be weak when they are actually very strong inside, to gain the trust of people whom they want to gain. Some people are afraid of knowing what they really feel inside, and convince themselves and others of a certain emotion. Some people act the opposite of what they really are so that people can't predict or get close enough to them to hurt them. Some just build a wall around them by not talking. Ok, I think you get my drift.
Everyone has different defence mechanisms, think about it, what's yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment