The story moves seamlessly as it is presented to readers by an omnipresent narrator that allows us to 'see' the situations as well as to 'look' into each character's minds.
The themes - love, mercy, happiness, freedom and fidelity, are what I list offhand. There are many other underlying themes, with Love as the root.
The character, Jamie, smothered his wife with a pillow because she asked him to end her pain, for she was suffering from cancer for a few years and doctors have confirmed that there is no cure. He loved his wife too much to say no. More importantly, he loved his wife too much to see her suffer everyday.
Personally, I don't think the book is about whether euthanasia should be supported and legalised. Naturally, the book addresses the controversial perspectives of this case. Only God can take away lives. But your loved one is suffering so much on Earth! Instead, it appears to explore the different levels of love, and the different kinds of love.
Yes, L.O.V.E. A powerful 4-letter word and emotion that can make or break a person.
A particular statement Jamie said was that in a relationship, there was always one who loved more than the other. Well, his statement is applicable to all relationships, isn't it? Be it friendships, boy-girl relationships and even family relationships.
One party gives in to the relationship more than the other. On the other hand, one might argue that in relationships, the amount of love should not and cannot be quantified. True, I don't disagree. But I don't completely agree as well.
I think it all boils down to the personality of the individual too? Yes, love should not and cannot be quantified but it is somewhat comparable? It's a relative issue...one gives more than the other. One sacrifices more than the other. And all these are manifested in to the actions which "magnifies" the extent of love one has.
That being said, this story also addresses the fact that possession doesn't necessarily equate to happiness. Perhaps letting go, however painful, might be the best solution, which begs the question of how this happiness is to be pursued.
Happiness is transient. Will you decide not to pursue this short-lived happiness because of the knowledge that the end will be painful? Or will you enjoy this Happiness while it lasts and worry about the pain another time? Well well...different schools of thoughts and different mentalities are revealed.
Ok, if you are confused by what I said, rest assured you aren't alone. I think I'm confusing myself as well. But then again, it's Food for Thought.
Haha.
Ok I might refine this post when I feel like it. Meanwhile, it's Bedtime.
Good night :)
No comments:
Post a Comment